Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I remember on this day.

I have found myself longing for the past lately. The naitivity of being a child and not having to take on the worries of the grown up world. I recently started a new job and some of the people I'm working with grew up in my hometown and even attended my highschool!! I know I thought it was crazy too, but when I started talking with them memories started flooding my head and I just wished I could be back, but not as an adult, as a child.

So I booked my ticket for home about a week ago. I'm gonna spend a long weekend at home and see some friends, drink a little beer at my old haunts, and go to a Styx concert with my roommates from college. I think it is what I need and I haven't seen my parents since last thanksgiving. When I called home my mother was very excited. She began telling me about the block party they were planning. Again memories of my childhood; water fights, riding bikes, The food, etc... Flooded my head.

This week has been hard for me, which is why the lack of writing. Not to mention the insane hours at my job, but something very important to my life took place this last week. It all begins at the beginning of sophomore year of highschool in 1996. I was part of something revolutionary. It was a TV station at my highschool called newscene. Through this group I made 6 of the best friends a guy could ask for. All of us from completely different group or cliques as some people call them. Never hanging out socially but putting together a weekly news program that won the best news program in the state of Illinois every year we ran it.

These guys became my best friends and senior year we started becoming our own sort of clique that let everyone in, threw some amazing parties that our parents still do not know happened to this day and came out with stories that would shock and amaze you. Our name was simple, Gafferland. We all shared one thing in common other then our love for this program, we loved a girl. Her name was Suzanne. One day Suzanne started dating this real a$$hole named Seamus. None of us ever had a chance with suzanne, she was the most amazing beautiful girl ever, and I have had a crush on her since she moved to the OP in 3rd grade. So on this day we came up with a motto and we made T-shirts and we wore them to school. The girls all wanted to know what the anagram meant on our shirts, but we didn't tell. We were hence forward known as the green shirt guys. But all of this is just back story and has nothing to do with what I am writing about.

On August 28, 2001 I was a senior in college and some friends of mine came running up to me in class. They told me my friend Dan from highschool had opened some e-mail that had made him burst into tears and go running from class. As his friend they wanted to know if I knew anything about it. I said, "No" Then another one of our friends said that Dan had gone back to the OP because a friend died. Immeadiatly my head started spinning, if a friend of Dan's died then a friend of mine died. So I sent an e-mail to the men of Gafferland asking if someone from OP had passed away.

It wasn't until late that same night when my friend Nate, AMMO of Gafferland(yeah we have titles, I was the messenger long story) called me. In a distraught voice he said, "Stickler, Matt killed himself." In what I would call a surreal moment we both broke down crying. Matt was our friend and the General of Gafferland. I had just seen him 3 weeks earlier and he seemed happy. Then Nate explained how I had to call all the guys and tell them because he couldn't. So for the next 2 hours I called Giles, PETE, Matranga, and Merrick. I had to listen as one by one they all broke down on the phone. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done and all I wanted to do was go home and cry. Eventually I got that oppurtunity and I went home for the funeral. It was sad. And so this past week was the 5th anniversary of one of my best friends passing. I wasn't at home and had to deal with it by myself. I miss him and our group hasn't been the same since. So I just wanted to say Matt, if somehow you can read this, I miss you buddy. Here is a Busch for you! And now that I'm out of my funk, tomorrow I will be writing "The Labors of Laborday"

4 Comments:

Blogger Claire and Lara said...

we hope his family and friends are as at peace as they can be this week...

September 06, 2006 5:29 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Oh hun. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure that somehow he knows how you feel and how much you miss him.
((big hugs))

September 07, 2006 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Hip E. said...

I don't want to mess with the somber tone here; I remember when PETE told me about this and how tough it was for him.

But... What happened to Suzanne?

September 08, 2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Claire and Lara, Thanks, I was in Chicago all weekend and everyone is in happy spirits!

Steph, Thanks for the hug, by the way I touched your ass during that hug!

Hip E. Ypu are not ruining the somber mood, Suzanne has dissapeared, suppossedly she still works in OP as an accountant and is dating someone serious. Whoever that guy is he is lucky and I don't even think he knows it!

September 10, 2006 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home