Sunday, July 30, 2006

Earth Angel...

Earth Angel, won't you be mine. My darling dear, love you all the time, Because I'm just a fool, a fool in love with you.

Embarrassment.

I don't think most people can know the full scope of embarrassment; till during a highschool graduation party, Your parents walk out on stage as the band. But that was the past. When my father cut off our phone call earlier tonight because he was in a rush to get to a "gig." It got me thinking about where did it all start, where did the obscession come from. I know full well my mother and father will be reading this, so I'll just start out by saying that Stuck in The 50's is a great doo wop band and I commend my father and the other fathers on making the decision that embarrassment for their children was a small price to pay for happiness. Only now I realize that I had nothing to be embarrassed about, now I can appreciate that having parents that live life is way better then having parents who don't know how to live.

It all began ages ago when a number of families from a small suburb on the west side of Chicago attended a summer camp together. Camp Brosius, the small but peaceful camp located in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, is like no other summer camp in the world because it is meant for families. Grandmas, Grandpas, Moms, Dads, Uncles, Aunts, and kids of all ages and size would spend one week up at this camp each summer, playing in the sun at tournaments and games or just relaxing. But even though during the day the kids were sent off to group activites at night everyone would be back together in their cabin for some good ole time with the family. A unique experience to say the least.

As years passed these families from the west side of Chicago became a well known group of campers, an elite group. But what the people of Camp Brosius didn't know is that every year on tuesday night of camp all these families would sit around Rose End(the biggest cabin at Camp Brosius) and play a game called "Encore." This is a game where the group would split into teams, usually of two. Then a card would be pulled and a word would be announced. Then back and forth across the table each group would have to sing at least eight words to a song that contained said word. These families were extremely musical, so rounds would go on for 10 minutes sometimes. There were many controversies like in all games, such as Frank, who was one of the fathers, had knowledge of so many songs from the 40's and 50's that most times none of us could tell if he was making them up or singing something real. But it was fun, always fun.

Then one year when I was about 10, they themed the end of camp as a doo wop night. When we recieved the letter in the mail before camp had started, I could see my father's brain turning. Little did I know that this is where the Brosius Family Singers would be born. The last day of camp came and with my Mother at the Keyboard, everyone decked out in poodle skirts, lether jackets, doo rags; The Schwerin's, The Stickler's, and The Schwartz's all got up and sang the night away for the people of camp. Hits such as Rock Around the Clock, In the still of the Night, Sixteen Candles, and well Earth Angel. The Brosius Family Singers only had one performance, but I believe that this was the beginning of Stuck in the 50's at least in my memory.

So now that I'm grown up a little, not embarrassed by my parents(at least not all the time), I want everyone to know about Stuck in the 50's. So if your ever in the Chicago area, go see them perform. If your from the era it will be a great blast from the past, if not then you'll have more fun then you've had in a long time with your parents. So to Mom, Dad, Frank, Steve, Don, Peggy, Michael, John, Bill, and Bill keep on rockin the night away and know that us kids miss it even though we never say it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Well i for one think it would be very cool to have musos as parents. ;)

July 30, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Lynn-e said...

That is awesome.

July 31, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Steph, My parents are definitly cool. But they tend to be a little much sometimes as well.

Lynne, thanks!

August 01, 2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

that's awesome. i love the picture with the white socks and the black loafers. heh.

August 02, 2006 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home