Monday, May 01, 2006

The ring? Unca Lou... You know I hate boxing!


The weather is starting to get warmer. Warm enough where I have been surfing in the morning. This can mean only one thing, summer is approaching! When I think of summer I think of three things in this order...girls in bikinis, summer romances, and camp. I was a camp counselor once. I know what your all thinking, who in their right mind would leave me alone with a bunch of kids. Well, a small summer camp in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin put that trust in me and it turned out I was one of the best. So good that my second year of doing this, instead of giving me an age group they were forced to give all the age groups a half a day with me! That's what happens when you have children of all age groups sneaking into your activites. There is nothing like trying to pry a 7 year old off of your head because he/she would rather hang out with you then there group! My parents always thought I should be a teacher because of the natural responsivness kids had towards me. They thought I was a good role model, I just figured it was because I acted like a kid. Either way you look at it; children and me would go hand in hand, sometimes me carrying them piggy back.

As I was saying summer makes me think of summer camp. Summer camp makes me think of entirely too many stories, so I will start with my favorite one. It was June of 2000, my second year of working at camp. I knew the in's and out's of the camp from my status as a long time camper second year staffer. I also knew that this year I was going to hold the honor of being the King of Shreck's. For those of you that do not know what a Shreck is you should rent Indian Summer. But I will explain so you don't need to leave midstory, rent a movie, watch it, and then come back.

A shreck in it's simplest terms is a practical joke done at summer camp, that you never ever admit to being the perpatrator of. The King of Shrecks is the person who pulls off the best shrecks during the summer; who everyone suspects, but no one has the evidence to prove it was him or her.

So what made me the King of Shrecks? Good question and thanks for playing. Like I said before it was June of 2000. Camp B hadn't officially opened yet. The staff comes 2 weeks early so we can all bond and clean up the camp. They have to pay us for something! They put me and two other guys to work ripping out a chain link fence that had been on the property for longer then I care to remember. Where as all the girls got to clean out the costume room(fair? I think not). We were hot and sweaty, taking a drink of water, hiding from the whips that would lay into our backs if they found us resting when the idea popped into my head. I turned to the guys and said, "Do you guys want to pull the greatest shreck of all time?" They both wiped their brows and nodded in agreement. And so began the Historical Shreck I call "The Great Fence In of 2000."

The boss of the children's programming, she was my target. The year before she had played a schreck on me right as we were closing camp and I had never gotten the chance to thoroughly pay her back.

My alarm went off at 3:30 AM. It was dark, no one was around. I proceeded to T and P's rooms to wake them. After I had jumped on each to get them out of bed, we put on dark clothes and slowly made our way to the "Boss's" cabin. Underneath one of the cabins we had stashed the entire roll of chain link fence from earlier in the day.

Earlier, after we had finished taking down the fence, P distracted our Boss while T and I hammered nails around the cabin so they could be bent upwards after we hung the fence on them. Ever so quietly we unrolled the fence and hung it around the outside of the cabin. Then T dropped a hammer. It made the loudest bang I have ever heard. We all stopped and stood perfectly motionless just listening to the sounds of crickets. Luckily no one awoke from the clatter. We continued hanging and bending back nails. Until finally the entire cabin was wrapped and securly fastened with chain link fence. As a final touch we wrote on a piece of poster board, "Good Morning You've Been Shrecked!" and hung it in front of her door. See the doors opened inward so she would be able to open the door and come face to face with chain link fence and sign. I'm laughing just remembering this! We then all snuck off and went straight back to sleep, no one was the wiser!

Morning came and we awoke when we started hearing the shouts and screams coming from top side by the girls cabins. We ran upstairs to find our "Boss" screaming bloody murder about how if she finds out who did this, "Heads will roll." All the girl staffers were taking pictures, it was excellent. After she busted down the chain link we all had to sit in a meeting about safety in our staff lounge. It was well worth it. And to this day no one knows it was me, The King Of Shrecks!

9 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

hahahaha! Evil and dastardly, yes i love it. :)

I always wanted to do the summer camp thing, alas we don't have them in Oztralia, and i never got my arse around to applying for a position in the US. ( We regularly have ads asking for Aussies to go over and work in kids camps)

May 01, 2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Glad you approve steph. One of my better friends from camp; Brendan is a kiwi and one of the funniest people I have ever met. You know it is a great summer if your unemployed and looking!

May 01, 2006 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what about girls in bikinis and summer romances?

May 01, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

I'm glad you asked anonymous, guess you'll just have to check back for the next story and trust me it's a doozy!

May 01, 2006 9:30 PM  
Blogger Lynn-e said...

That is a classic! I thought you crazy summer camp people only existed in the movies!

May 02, 2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Lynne, as you can see these experiences do exist. The other classic shreck was when I put a Playak int eh rafters of one of the girls cabins. The girls tried to get it down, but I added a element of surprise by filling the entire thing with water as well!!!

Let's just say it was the first cabin ever to be literally underwater!

May 02, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hehehehehehehehehe. we used to play pranks as campers. never really got to that level though. since i stopped going to camp at age 11. sadly, i would have kept going to this day, and would love to be a counselor. but alas... i am not.

May 03, 2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Chud whenever you want to mastermind a shreck to play on Steph I'm all in!

May 03, 2006 9:16 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

ooooh, an e-shreck. man... if had teh l337 h4xx0r ski11z we could have fun. otherwise it's going to be an expensive shreck. unless we get her to fly here... ooooh... tell him something like "branson missouri is the uber hot spot for all 29 somethings in the states!" lol

May 03, 2006 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home