Saturday, April 15, 2006

uh oh, stickler's teaching kids.

Today I taught my first trumpet lessons. I was at an education meeting at a Buddist temple and I was asked by a brother if I could work with the small music workshop they have. When I got there it was two trumpet players, two kids playing bass drum and a flutest whom was running the group. The flute player didn't know what she was doing and had no teaching expirience or any kind of a music education so it was basically up to me to take over. I started with the trumpet players naturally, and I was not entirely sure where I should start with them because they were at such a low level and so much had to be done. So I though for moment about how i only have an hour with these kids so I better leave them with somthing that can enrich them musically and somthing they can practice to help lay a strong foundation for there playing in the future. I thought fundamentals, so told them to put there horns down and I did breathing excersises with them, and showed them the correct way to breath. The next obstical was rythm. Rythm has allways come very naturally so coming up with different ways for them to visualize how to count correctly was difficult. I used the old Rhodes method of having them pulse the rythm while they play with there air. Of course I had to sit down and teach them the concepts of rythm first but that was the easy part. Next was to instruct them to stop thinking linearly with there playing. I told them that when playing higher on the trumpet your not blowing higher your blowing faster, so I had them visualize blowing to reach a distance to try and illiminate tension and give them the concept that will stay with them the rest of there lives. I told one of the kids to try and knock over the wall when he played a high G. There was instant improvement in there playing. There's a lot of shit I wish I could have done better with them but I think I did a pretty good job for my first time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stickler said...

Little Bro, That is really impressive. I'm glad you have found something that your good at! So your becoming a buddhist?

April 15, 2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger youngest stickler said...

i don't think i'm gonna become a buddhist, but some of the things they do i like.

April 16, 2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

well done yaself. So when you going back to teach them some more?

April 16, 2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger youngest stickler said...

i went back yesterday to teach a few lessons and i gave one the kids a 5 minute break and i looked out the window and this kid was running away through the parking lot.

April 17, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger janestarr said...

Very interesting. I think you done good. I know nothing about playing the brass instruments or any instruments really, so that was pretty interesting. Maybe I should pick up a musical hobby, hmmmm....

April 17, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger youngest stickler said...

I see your from St. Louis, you should check out the St. Louis Symphony, that would be a good start.

April 20, 2006 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home