Monday, April 24, 2006

Karaoke, Buffet, and a Premiere!


So let's just say my weekend was crazy, maybe not Animal House crazy, but still crazy! It all began with a friday night, where all my friends ditched me. But one of my oldest friends, PETE, he rescued me from the solitude and drove me to have one of the more memorable weekends I have had in awhile.

I had spent the day Rock Climbing, so I was already tired. But a call from PETE and the overzealousness to sing got me going again and I ventured off to my favorite Kareoke Haunt. The Brass Monkey, the Funky Monkey, a place of excessive drinking and kareokeing is where my tale shall begin. I arrived early, because at the Brass Monkey if you want to sing you had better get there before the sunsets in Japan or a thousand people will have beaten you to putting there songs in. As I entered the bar alone, the air around me seemed to sizzle with energy, I could feel that this night was going to be different. And trust me it had nothing to do with what happened last time I was there, I am already over that escapade.

The place was a ruckus with laughter and singing. After being greeted by my favorite waitress Jenny, I looked around and noticed the whole place was packed with people I knew, well not really knew, but "Regulars." The Die Hards, the men and women that come on wednesdays to try out new material for there regular night. It turns out that it was one of the regulars birthdays, so everyone came out to sing. It was utter craziness because they were the only ones able to get there songs in. My friend PETE hadn't arrived yet, so I went over to talk to some that I knew. I befriended all and the DJ bumped one of my songs up earlier, being that the crowd remembered me from my once-a-monther status. Unfortunatly I was alone and didn't have the usual members with me. The night was filled with good cheer though, as I sang the Styx classic, "Come Sail Away." PETE eventually showed up with his new roommate. I watched him boogey down on the dance floor with one of the drunkest girls in the bar, I saw a fight break out between two guys over a beautiful girl, who I proceeded to talk to while the guys were fighting. I made new friends and at the end of the night brought the house down when I sang the last song, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with this guy who sings higher then a man with his balls cut off, "The Chad." It may have been the best performance sans my friends I have had in a long time!

I went to bed happy, and awoke early for the trouble that was my Saturday. PETE actually woke me with a phone call. We were going to see Buffet! I have never been to a Buffet concert before, making me a "Virgin Margarita!" For my first one I have to admit I learned alot. Our friend Fuller met us in the OC and the three of us got lost trying to find the venue. After zigzagging all over the freeways, a quick stop for food at Carl's Jr, we finally found a sign pointing us in the right direction. The parking lot was packed with RV's, grills, utter mayhem and drinking, and this blow up doll that was also a beer bong. It was awsome! We drank Coronas, watched some guys get busted by the cops and then scalped tickets for the show. I even got flashed by a bunch of girls! Our seats were all in different sections, but it didn't matter we were going to stay together no matter what. the first thing we saw as we entered the arena was a sign that said

PETE found the letters "ARR" on the ground and kept jumping in front of people shouting "ARRGGHHH" while flashing the letters. It was pretty funny. When we got into the stadium, they wouldn't let me into the lower section because I had a lawn seating ticket. Fuller very slyly passed me his ticket over the wall and then I got in that way. We ended up having great seats, especially since it started downpouring. So the place emptied out pretty quickly. All in all next time I will be getting a RV for the Buffet concert.

After it was over we drove to my friend who lives in the OC's house and stayed with her. We awoke early the next morning for our drive back to LALALAnd. It was 9:30 AM when I saw the sign for the Beach Blvd. exit. I turned to PETE who was half asleep and said, "You know there is a Portillo's in Buena Park right off that exit. Do you think it is open?" PETE's response,"Stickler I'm not going to stop you if you take me there!" So I quickly swerved off the freeway and we ended up at a closed Portillo's. See were both from Chicago and miss our food, and one never misses out on a oppurtunity to eat some. Which is why we waited the hour for it to open. While waiting we found a Walmart. In this Walmart was a bulk bin of DVD's. All of the DVD's on top were in spanish, but after digging to the bottom we found the motherload of great DVD's that no one had bothered to search for. All priced at less then 4 dollars. It rocked! I came away with Labyrinth and Clue. We then ate the most scrumtuous Chicago food I have had in awhile.

When I got home I slept for 1 hour, then awoke, got showered and all dressed up! I was going to a premiere for Hot Tamale and then an afterparty on a boat! The movie was better then I expected! So I recommend you all see it if you get the chance. Hopefully it will come out on DVD, but who knows maybe in the theaters too? So there you have it, jam packed, exciting weekend!

So if you gave up reading and have skipped down to the last paragraph to see where this story went, here is the summary...I had too eventful of a weekend and now I am going to bed. But before I do if your bored at work I reccommend touching balls! Try to beat my high score of 143 balls touched(or 16288 points)! I'm proud of my ball touching skills and you should be too!

6 Comments:

Blogger Drunken Chud said...

ahhh karateoke... (buy the movie duets if you don't own it already). i do so love it. i can't carry a tune in a bucket but goddamn do i enjoy a good solid butchery of any song i love. heh.

ahhh buffet. one day i'll make it to one of his concerts. i do so love the man. in high school for my radio and tv class we each had to create our own radio format. i made WJBA "jimmy buffet all the time".

April 25, 2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger Lynn-e said...

I have to say...Chicago is my favorite city. I miss it lots.

I'm very jealous of your steal of Labyrinth. But not your 'touching balls' score.

April 25, 2006 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you go to the premier with anyone? I'm so not feelin' the love. But what a blast!

April 25, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Chud, come to La I will take you to Karoke. Lynn-e your from chicago????
Andrea...Yeah i knew it was you...there are some parts of my life I can't talk about on the internet. The premiere is one of them because then people would know a hell of alot more about who I am...and that could be bad!

April 25, 2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Where do you find the energy??? Sounds like you need another weekend just to recover.

April 26, 2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Steph, I think it is my coca cola addiction,but my whole family is kind of hyper!

April 26, 2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home