Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Boyfriends, Sushi, and Debbie!

So today I had this girl at work, the same one who has been on set on three different occassions flirting with me. Well, at least I thought she was flirting with me, so I'll let you decide. She would come over and stand around me and make small talk. She kept making fun of me and she kept looking at me when I wasn't near her and then turn her head quickly when I would catch her. To me these are sure fire signs that someone is interested. So I would flirt back! I finally towards the middle of the day asked her if she had any plans for the weekend. Her answer was, No, nothing at all. I said, "Well why not?" Her answer, Her boyfriend that she lived in a one bedroom apartment with was not making any money so she was supporting the both of them.

Now back up a minute, Key word: Boyfriend!

So someone explain to me, someone please explain to me, why was she flirting with me? Especially if she had a boyfriend? I don't get it folks? And while your at it, why does every female that I am attracted to, already taken?

So Debbie and I had gone out a few times and then I got a gig on a tv show that took over my life. 6 months to be exact, great job, taught me everything I know, but killed my social life. The whole time I only talked to Debbie on the phone, but we really became just good friends. So when the show was over, I called her up and said, "Debbie, It's been forever what are you doing tonight?" She was meeting two of her friends in Westwood for dinner and invited me along. I had no idea that this was about to be one of the craziest nights I have ever had in Lalaland.

I met her and this guy, let's call him Jason, in Westwood. We got cookies and ice cream at this awsome place, and then kind of went walking around playing with things in stores. I was wondering if she was dating Jason, till her friend Tim ran into us in one of the stores. He was gay and Jason started making passes at him. So yeah, she was definitly not with Jason and to my knowledge single. Now the thing about Debbie is she was really outgoing, but very closed with her emotions. So it was always really hard to get a reading on how she felt in a certain situation. The two guys walked to one side of the store we were in andshe pulls me over into the corner and says, "Oh my god, they both like each other, we have to take them someplace else and see if we can hook them up.

Now loyal readers, I have never hooked two guys up, but I guess this is something Debbie does all the time. All that was running through my mind at this point was, wow, Debbie looks beautiful tonight, I really need to hang out with her more. And then all of a sudden we are all standing in the center of the room and she is explaining how two weeks ago she ran into this guy on the street. His name was Howard. Well, Howard invited her to his birthday party. It was at this place called, "White Lotus" in Hollywood. Now none of us had heard of this place since it officially wouldn't open for another 6 months. But somehow this guy Howard had invited her to this place for his birthday. Well I wasn't about to let her get away, so I figured why not, I'll help hook up her gay friends with each other and maybe score some points with Debbie.

Now is when things began to get really weird. We pulled up at the White Lotus, which looked entirely empty. All of us in t-shirts and jeans. We actuelly all looked pretty sloppy, well Debbie could never look bad. Anyways she walks up to the maitre D' and says, Hi, I'm Debbie and these are my friends. I know were early but were here for Howards Birthday Party!" the woman looked at us and said, "well ok, umm, we don't have the guest list out yet, but you can come in and sit at the bar." So we walked in and started drinking free alcohol in an empty bar. We started joking around, and I think they forgot about us at the front because all of a sudden people started arriving. We kept drinking and suddennly platters and platters of free sushi were being brought out. We started talking to all the people who were really dressed up for this party. We were so out of place.

Now the entire time the two gay guys were hitting on every single woman who walked into the bar trying to get more girls then the other one. It was impressive, I had no idea gay guys can score so much. I spent the entire time hitting on Debbie, falling for her every second. Then all of a sudden we were approached by a guy with glasses. He walked up to Debbie and asked who she was, She said, "I'm Debbie, were friends of Howards, the birthday boy." The guy looks at her and says, "Oh, Hi I'm Howard, the birthday boy!" By this time we had consumed roughly 500 dollars in sushi and probably 100 dollars in free drinks. So what a surprise that we had all crashed Howard Balaban (The owner of Paramount) Birthday. Howard liked us though, becuase we wern't like his other guests so he let us stay. So Debbie started talking to him and then went off to sit at Howard's Table. The two gay guys sat down next to me and said, "So you really like her?" I answered "Yeah, I wish I had persued this better when I first met her." That is when they informed me that Debbie was hard to read and I shouldn't give up. The guys kept drinking margaritas with me and then left me by myself. They went to the bathroom together and didn't come back for a half hour, I'll let you use your imagination. Debbie came back over to find me sitting by myself. She looked at me and told me she had alot of fun with me that night. But she was going home, she had to wake up early. She gave me a hug, kissed me on the cheek and walked away. That was the last time I ever saw Debbie.

So you ask, why didn't I tell her I liked her. I don't know probably becuase I figured a girl like her wouldn't like a guy like me. When she went off with Howard I figured I had no chance. So I made a mistake and I regret it. So now whenever I eat sushi I think of Debbie, because she was the person that I had the best free sushi I have ever had with. I think of how if I hadn't been striving for the stupid career that I am still striving for maybe something would have started between us. Maybe that night I would have had the balls to say something. That maybe now I wouldn't be stuck in the state of conufusion that I find myself in now. If only I could go back to when I first moved here and change it all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous BLongly said...

Stickler, one simple question for you buddy. Why didn't you ever call Debbie? I'm sure you had her number. You should have called her! Have you ever thought about still calling her up? Never too late you know.

March 02, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

She got married!

March 02, 2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous thrill said...

WHAT?! She got married?! When did that happen, and why isn't that in your story?

Regarding the Debbie Debacle: trust me, Stickler, you're not alone. I made the exact same mistake several years ago and regretted it for a long time. But then I met someone else and I'm over it. It can be really shitty and really tough, but eventually you and your friends make jokes at your expense about it and it's all in good fun.

And as for chicks with boyfriends ... man, I should write a fucking book about this. Long story short, that chick was flirting with you because she's tired of her deadbeat boyfriend. Don't pursue it, because they live together, but let her flirt (it's good for the self-esteem, which will in turn help your game with the single women).

Seriously, though, what's the story with that Debbie chick getting married?

March 03, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger Stickler said...

That is what she was looking for, she moved far away too! I think i just missed an oppurtunity!

March 03, 2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Cali Thais said...

I agree with Thrill on the chicks with boyfriends part. You just have to remember that most girls are filthy whores.

March 05, 2006 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home