Monday, March 27, 2006

The 100th Post...Cats and Dogs Living Together, Mass Hysteria!

So to everyone in the theBlogosphere, we made it. We have hit our 100th birthday and I'm pretty psyched about it. Now don't worry were not gonna quit writing now that we have made this elitest benchmark, instead were going to start improving. So feel free to give us any advice on where you would like to see the blog go, so when we hit 200 you can say you had a little part in it.

Now as I was saying with 100 it is time to tell the mother of all stories, it is relevant because I really want to tell you all about what happened this weekend, but to understand you need a little history. So here goes:

When I was 13, I was at boyscout camp in Wisconsin. It was early evening and a light drizzle had begun to fall. I was riding in a van with a couple of other scouts and one of our leaders was driving. We were the back most van in the caravan. As I remember it I was watching the coutryside go by, when I blinked. When I opened my eyes I was no longer in the van but in a room. Everything was white but it was dark, so it all had an eerie glow to it. I was confused, so I went to stand up. At this moment an alarm went off, a red light started flashing, and the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life went screaming through my body. I then passed out.

What felt like 24 hours later, but who really knows, I awoke again to a docter and my parents leaning over me. The docter explained that I had been in a car accident. My head had been lacerated(for you lamen, scalped), I had recieved a broken pelvis(which meant relearning to walk), and a punctured lung(it hurt to breathe, laugh, and talk). Not to mention that I had just now awoken from a coma that I had been in for 2 1/2 days.

Yeah life sucked for me, now I really had no idea what was going on, but about 2 minutes later I passed out. Everyone thinks the back wheel of the van spun out on a puddle, sending the van spinning into a tree. The car, from the pictures I saw, was a total wreck. The story the guys in the car with me told was that when the car hit the tree the side of the car ripped off. Everyone was thrown from the vehicle because they weren't wearing their seat belts. Except for me, because I was wearing mine, so I was in the car when it sustained more damage. When the first boy awoke he went running for a farm house to get help, but passed out midway through a field from a deep cut on his leg. At this moment another boy awoke, saw that one pass out and so he made it to the farm house and was able to call for help.

6 months, alot of therapy, in patient and out, a wheel chair, crutches, lastly a cane, and then nothing, I was back to my good old self. Except for the simple fact that 8th grade was a little blurry in the memory department. Kids in math class freshman year would poke me on the top of my head during class, because I had no feeling. So I never knew until the teacher would yell at them. It was great to be a freshman in highschool. Favorite quote that I heard entirely too many times on the first day of school: "Hey, aren't you suppossed to be dead?"

Anyways, I don't think on it alot anymore, other then I have different respect for life, am willing to take some big chances from time to time, and am not afraid of death at all. But this weekend I got a little freaked out. I was with a whole bunch of people I didn't know very well, playing poker. Someone brought up the constitution test they had to take in 8th grade. Since a couple of these people were from Chicago they knew all about it. When they asked me if I took it, I said I don't remember it. Now none of them know about the accident, or have ever questioned me on the giant scar on my forehead. So they kept saying things like, "You didnt take it, everyone took it, you must of taken it, can't you remember?" They just kept going on a and on about it and I got extremely uncomfortable, because honestly I don't remember and I really had no idea their was a constitiuation test. It would have been alot easier for me to tell them all about the accident but I didn't want too. So I just sat there, uncomfortable, because this is the first time, that I really couldn't remember something and no matter how hard I tried to jog my memory it just isn't there.

I know I shouldn't care, but it is something that I will always live with, the year I don't remember. The most distinct memory I have after the accident, is sitting in the hospital with a docter asking me to name all my 8th grade teachers. I then rattled off a couple of my 7th grade teachers and my mother told me that I had the wrong year. So I tried to remember, but their wasn't any memory of them. I really wonder what actuelly happened that year?

9 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

What a story! Thank God you are alive to tell it. Amazing.

March 27, 2006 2:00 AM  
Blogger Ex-Addict said...

You are lucky! Wow!

March 27, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Thanks guys, if you thinkt hat is good, they just get better. My life has been a rollercoaster of amazement

March 27, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger janestarr said...

I don't remember the damn constitution test or half of my 8th grade teachers and I have nothing to blame except a bad memory, ha! But seriously, thanks for sharing, that really gives life perspective.

March 28, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Janestarr, No, thank you for reading! And don't worry I guess when your memory goes bad, life gets much more fun!

March 28, 2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger youngest stickler said...

you never told me about that, I didn't realize it was that bad.

April 09, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

little brother, you were 6, how would you remember any of this. I remember you were scared, sis was scared. But you both were really young!

April 09, 2006 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Bill said...

It really is sad that you don't remember your eighth grade year, because it was the year your sitcom made it to number one. All the members of your fanclub wondered why you dropped out of the public eye. Now it all makes sense...you forgot you were a famous child actor!

You'd think someone would've reminded you, or something. I still think "Finster's Folly" was the best single-season series that ever was...

April 13, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Bill, thanks I had no idea. Guess I should probably call my agent and see if he has any work lined up for me!

April 14, 2006 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home