Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Missed Opportunity

I am clueless when it comes to the opposite sex. I'll be totally honest with you, yes you the readers of this blog. My friends already know this fact. I think my friend Downs put it best in an e-mail he sent to my old friends from highschool:

Congratulations are in order to Stickler for getting
to "Stickler First Base" with Kate Hudson. As we
know, the traditional base system has been amended in
terms of Stickler. First Base is a hug, no more no
less, and it doesn't matter who the hug is initiated
by. Second base is a backhand touching of the breast
when pretending to reach for an adjacent item on the
catering cart. Third base is convincing a chick that
he played lacrosse at Indiana. A Home Run is fitting
her entire body in his freezer.

Well, not the most flattering thing someone has written about me, but I know it is full of love. Anyways, like I said not the best with the opposite sex. Well, today I think I made a mistake or maybe just missed an oppurtunity. But you can decide, kind of like a choose your own adventure.

I went to the gym this morning to work out, the one major problem with my gym is that it costs money to park in the parking structure, so usually I try to find a space a block away and walk. I'm going to the gym anyways, so I consider the walk a kind of a warm-up. Anyways today when I walked in the front entrance of the gym their was a cute girl behind the counter. Of course I had just woken up, my hair was a mess, and I had a nice coat of stuble on my face. But regardless she greeted me with a smile as I handed her my membership card. She then goes, "do you have an ID with you as well." I will never understand why they ask for a picture ID as well, when you are handing them your membership card in the first place. I think to remedy this the gym should put your picture on your ID. What happens if one day I don't bring my ID with me, that won't happen, but what if? Are they just not going to let me in? Regardless, she looked at my ID and then she says,

"So do you prefer Josh or Joshua?"
I said, "Well, it doesn't matter me to me, which do you think I should go with?"
She replied, "I like Joshua better."
"Then so be it, I'm Joshua"
At this she giggled and then said, "So Joshua where are you from in Chicago?"
I told her and then she told me about her sister who lived there. I ended the conversation by saying, "yeah, it's a great big city." and walked away.

Now my question, did I miss an opportunity? I wasn't flirting! I should have been, she was a pretty cute girl. Is it OK to hit on someone while they are working? Was she interested in me at all? If I had said something what should I have said? What if when I go tomorrow morning the same girl is working? Would it be ok to ask her to lunch? Where do we draw the line at social interactions in work places that deal with the public? What if she shoots me down and then I have to see her everytime I go to the gym? I realize this is all moot now, but what should I do, I want your opinion.

5 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

It is a great big city, you must go back and tell her you want to bring her to the great big city.

Most girls like great big cities if you know what I mean.

February 08, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Ex-Addict said...

Yes, she was interested. You ARE kind of clueless! Between college & grad school I worked at a health club. The only reason to do that is to meet people. That, and there were hot trainers & tennis pros there. But really, you should go back, put in some hair gel or something. And if she remembers you & calls you Joshua, you are in for sure!

February 09, 2006 1:18 PM  
Anonymous will said...

Stickler, you've got to go back and ask her out. Now you've gotten her attention by not sleazing on her the first time you met and held a conversation. So now you go back, and ask her out. If she says no, fine - but at least you asked.

And even if you have to see her every time you go to the gym, who cares? Think of it as being that SHe has to see YOU every tie you go to the gym, and that she'll be faced with the realization that she fucked up every time she sees you. Or think of the time PETE asked out a waitress at a restaurant we regularly go to, only to call her and be told that her friend had been raped, and then (on second call) that a friend of hers had committed suicide. Try eating at that restaurant every weekend with THAT baggage.

February 09, 2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger Stickler said...

Classic Pete, I will, don't worry I ama man of my word. ex i have never picked up a girl in a health club and I usually try not to stare at them while they are working out. On that note I can't even imagine showering and doing myself up to go workout. Who does that?

February 09, 2006 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Oh my darling Stickler. Let's review the facts.
-This girl took the time to note your name
-She then ask you your preference when she addresses you.
-She also took the time to look at exactly what city in Illinois you were from.
-She then chose to engage you in a conversation about aforementioned city.
-She then created a connection between you and her and Chicago by stating that her sister lived there.
-You then commented on the size of Chicago.

Oh honeybunny. Yes she was interested in you. I say go back, say hi to her, chat her up a little bit, and I'd either ask her out then or wait until the third conversation so she's not sketched out. But she loved you and your ruffled bed head. Good work.

February 15, 2006 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home